It has been a full on year. I work as a counsellor in Sydney and every day I am turning clients away because my books are full. Many of my colleagues say the same. If you are experiencing symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress or simply struggling to adjust to changes in life, you might be looking for something to make a difference. One option might be to book an 8-week mindfulness-based-stress reduction course.
The first randomised study to compare the options of individual cognitive behavioural therapy or
Individual therapy is expensive and it can be hard to get appointments at present. MBSR provides a comparatively inexpensive alternative and in these COVID times where social contact has been more sparse than usual a group may be just the thing.
While individual therapy can be more useful for some than groups, it can also work the other way round. Sometimes the combination can be helpful.
- Learning mindfulness meditation is an introduction to a useful lifelong skill
- Once mastered you can continue practicing mindfulness by yourself.
- Greater mindfulness is associated with less physical illness, improved well-being, improved self-control, less negative emotions, better capacity to tolerate difficult feelings and improve concentration, focus attention and working memory.
- Engaging in an MBSR course often leads to decreases in symptoms of anxiety, depression and psychological distress.
- MBSR groups are enjoyable. Most participants say they love the support of the group and benefit from hearing stories from other group members.
- MBSR is non-pathologising. In the course, we explore the workings of the human mind and how this can feed stress etc. You'll find you have more in common than not with other group members regardless of what has brought you to the course.
- It is a course about self-care and building resilience. We can all do with more of that.
Book our October course
Our next HeadRest MBSR course begins on Zoom Tuesday, October 27, 2020 You can book through the www.headrest.com.au or ring me to discuss whether a group is a preferred option for you 0431 842950. It's our 4th Zoom course and we've worked out how to make it engaging! Very different from work.